Though I’m in college, I still enjoy an occasional fancy dish. From time to time, I just want to eat something a little more sophisticated as a reward for a hard day’s work, or even just because. I tend to wait for the weekend to indulge, because that’s when I have more time to cook. Yet, this week’s been particularly stressful, and I’m still sick, so I decided I’d spice up my breakfast with a little something special. Since I live by the words of “Don’t mess with breakfast”, this dish really hit the spot for me. It would also be perfect for a lazy Sunday brunch, or even a quick lunch. The lemon-yogurt sauce brings out the smokey flavor of the salmon and makes for a great substitute if -like me- you don’t like Hollandaise sauce. Bon appétit!
Prep Time: 10 min
- 1 avocado
- 1 large egg
- 2 slices of smoked salmon
- 1 large slice of multigrain bread
- salt, pepper
- olive oil
- 3 tbsp plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp water
- fresh chopped chives
- pinch of turmeric
- salt and pepper
- Put water to a boil in a small pot.
- In a bowl, mix the yogurt, lemon juice, and water together. Add the chopped chives, turmeric, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Start toasting the slice of bread.
- Mash the avocado in its shell with a fork and reserve.
- When the water is simmering, poach the egg for about 2 minutes.
- Drizzle the bread with olive oil and spread the mashed avocado evenly across the slice.
- Arrange the smoked salmon over the avocado and top with the poached egg. Drizzle with the yogurt sauce and season to taste.
TIP: you can also replace the smoked salmon with prosciutto, another type of smoked ham, or even bacon. Yum!