I’ve been in a crazy overnight oats phase lately. That’s all I ever want to eat for breakfast, and I start craving it the moment I put the container in the fridge the night before. The possibilities are endless with overnight oats, all you need is a base and you can then top it off with absolutely whatever you like. My most recent type is Dr. Bircher’s classic recipe. It’s been done for ages and never ever gets old to me. It’s a healthy, tasty and filling way to start your day. This also makes a great on-the-go breakfast, as you can just grab your jar out of the fridge and leave if you’re on a run. Bon appétit!
Prep time: 5 minutes (8 hours rest)
- 1/3 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup plain, non-fat yogurt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened (or vanilla) almond milk
- 1/4 apple
- 1/2 banana
- a handful of nuts
- maple syrup (optional)
- The previous night, mix the oats, the milk and the yogurt together in an airtight container. Place in the fridge and let the oats soak overnight.
- The next morning, grate the apple, sprinkle with lemon juice and incorporate to the base.
- Top with a drizzle of maple syrup (or honey), 1/2 banana (sliced) and sliced nuts or granola.
TIP: If you like your muesli sweeter, you can substitute the plain yogurt for vanilla flavored one, or use a ratio of 1/2 condensed milk 1/2 almond milk instead of plain almond milk. Alternatively, you can use fresh mixed berries instead of the banana, but be sure to keep the apple as it smoothes out the overall texture of the base.
3 thoughts on “Bircher Muesli (Swiss Overnight Oats)”
One of my favourite things in the world. Swoon …
Yum, I have also been going through an obsessive phase with Bircher muesli lately!! Ill have to try your version.