Fridge Fridays are back, and with this new edition, I chose to turn some leftovers into a super fresh and tasty summer lunch! The other day, I was browsing my instagram feed when I saw a post with the hashtag “bestovers”. I loved it! Why? Because too often, leftovers are disregarded and go to waste. They’re not “glam”, or “pretty”, or “appetizing”, so some people simply forget them. I’d like to change that vision! Leftovers can be delicious, and in some cases, leftovers can be even better than the original thing. In other words, they truly can be “bestovers”!
This salad is a perfect illustration of my point. It seriously has it all! It’s fresh, tasty, quick, healthy, and turns the plain, previously cooked quinoa into a great base, packed with nutrients! I’ll admit that this grain is a rather easy leftover to reuse. It might not even be considered a leftover if you just cook a huge batch in the weekend and use it over the week, but I think it counts because it still comes out ready from your fridge.
Anyways, as the weather keeps getting warmer, I’m entering full summer mode (a.k.a salad season)! I try to change recipes every day so I don’t get bored, and since one can never have too many salad recipes in the summer, I thought this one could go at the top of your must try leftover-friendly list. Bon appétit!
Total time: 10 minutes
- 1/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cucumber
- 4 cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 red onion
- 1 1/2 tbsp feta cheese (diced)
- 1 tbsp Greek black olives
- 1/4 red pepper
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- fresh basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- salt & pepper
- Start by chopping up the vegetables: tomatoes, cucumber, red onions, and red pepper.
- In a medium bowl toss the cooked quinoa with all the chopped vegetables, olives, diced feta, lemon juice, olive oil, fresh basil, and dried oregano. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper and enjoy!
Temps total: 10 minutes
- 1/4 cup de quinoa cuite
- 1/2 concombre
- 4 tomates cerises
- 1/4 d’oignon rouge
- 1 1/2 c.s de feta (en morceaux)
- 1 c.s d’olives noires (à la grecque de préférence)
- 1/4 de poivron rouge
- 1 c.s de jus de citron
- 1 c.s d’huile d’olive
- quelques feuilles de basilic frais
- 1 c.c d’origan
- sel & poivre
- Commencez par émincer tous les légumes: tomates, concombre, oignon et poivron. Mettez le tout dans un bol.
- Ajoutez la quinoa cuite, les olives, la feta en morceaux, le jus de citron, l’huile d’olive, le basilic frais, l’origan, et mélangez le tout. Rectifiez l’assaisonnement avec du poivre et du sel et bon appétit!