Finals season is upon us, so I thought I should “celebrate” by posting one of my favorite study snacks on the blog. For all of my college students readers out there, this one’s a keeper. I mean, espresso, chocolate and granola all at once??? Talk about a match made in heaven! Continue reading “Choco-Espresso Study Granola with Quinoa”
Midterms Mocha Shake
Every now and then, we all need a little something sweet. Though I usually try not to indulge in these cravings… I obviously sometimes do. Yet, when that happens, I try to find healthier options that hit the spot, without making me feel bad about myself. As midterms “season” finally ended, I decided I should celebrate, and reward myself for all my hard work and long study hours. HipCityVeg’s vegan milkshake are usually my go-to celebratory treat, as they’re so amazing they’re the perfect way to indulge! But the cold and snow made me stay home, and try my hands at making a HipCityVeg inspired shake myself.
This recipe tastes almost exactly like a real milk shake, but without the ice cream. It’s basically the perfect sweet fix! You have to try it to believe it, but the frozen bananas and almond milk replace the dairy and make up for the texture. Since I needed an extra boost of energy to make up for an exhausting couple of weeks/all nighters, I also added an espresso shot and went for a Mocha taste! Leaving it out would also make a delicious chocolate shake. Bon appétit!
Prep time: 5 minutes
- 1 banana (frozen to chill the smoothie)
- 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- a handful of sunflower seeds
- 1 shot of espresso
- 1 cup of almond (or soy) milk
- 1 tsp honey
- Put the frozen banana in a blender, add some of the milk and start mixing.
- Keep mixing while you add the sunflower seeds, the cocoa powder and the shot of espresso.
- Add the honey and taste the shake. If it needs to be sweetened, add a little extra drizzle and enjoy!