Spring can’t come soon enough! I’m sick of this weather, and sick altogether. This Polar Vortex has to go, and you won’t hear me say that often, but the snow has to stop! As I told you already, my favorite way to fight against the cold is to eat soup. This sweet potato version is absolutely amazing and ridiculously easy to make. It’s slightly spicy and full of flavors. Bon Appétit!
Prep time: 30 minutes
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 3 cups of vegetable broth (organic if possible)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- a pinch of chilli powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, over medium heat, sauté the diced onion and spices in olive oil. Add salt and keep stirring until until they become slightly brown.
- Meanwhile, peal and dice the sweet potato.
- When the onion is nicely colored, add the diced sweet potato and the 3 cups of vegetable broth. Bring to a simmer and let it cook for about 25 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- With and immersion blender, puree the soup together, adjust the seasoning and serve immediately.
TIP: you can add any toppings you like: roasted sunflower seeds, pine nuts, croutons, heavy cream… I chose fresh crumbled goat cheese, olive oil and a hint of pepper. Yum!