Another day, another toast! With chicken salad, no mayo anyone? This toast recipe is the last one I’ll post for a while, but as I previously mentioned open-faced sandwiches have been my go-to rushed meals recently. And since this chicken salad is so good, I figured that I’d share it with you even if I recently posted another toast recipe (combining Scrambled eggs, broccoli rabe, and shiitake!).
Continue reading “Fridge Friday: Avocado Chicken Salad, No-Mayo” →
Simple is best. I’ve said it before, but that’s my kitchen-motto. This recipe is a perfect example of that idea. When you think about it, there not much that’s more simple than toast. Yet, however simple the base may be, you can make the tastiest toppings ever, and end up with a really sophisticated dish.
Continue reading “Scrambled Eggs on Toast with Broccoli Rabe and Shiitake Mushrooms” →
Happy end of the summer! Though this might not be the easiest time of the year, I’m trying to look on the bright side of things as I enjoy the last days I have left at home. The beginning of a new school year is always full of new exciting things, and faces. So I guess it’s not that bad to go back after all…
Continue reading “Sweet and Savory Duo of Tapenades” →
Though I’m in college, I still enjoy an occasional fancy dish. From time to time, I just want to eat something a little more sophisticated as a reward for a hard day’s work, or even just because. I tend to wait for the weekend to indulge, because that’s when I have more time to cook. Yet, this week’s been particularly stressful, and I’m still sick, so I decided I’d spice up my breakfast with a little something special. Since I live by the words of “Don’t mess with breakfast”, this dish really hit the spot for me. It would also be perfect for a lazy Sunday brunch, or even a quick lunch. The lemon-yogurt sauce brings out the smokey flavor of the salmon and makes for a great substitute if -like me- you don’t like Hollandaise sauce. Bon appétit!
Prep Time: 10 min
- 1 avocado
- 1 large egg
- 2 slices of smoked salmon
- 1 large slice of multigrain bread
- salt, pepper
- olive oil
- 3 tbsp plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp water
- fresh chopped chives
- pinch of turmeric
- salt and pepper
- Put water to a boil in a small pot.
- In a bowl, mix the yogurt, lemon juice, and water together. Add the chopped chives, turmeric, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Start toasting the slice of bread.
- Mash the avocado in its shell with a fork and reserve.
- When the water is simmering, poach the egg for about 2 minutes.
- Drizzle the bread with olive oil and spread the mashed avocado evenly across the slice.
- Arrange the smoked salmon over the avocado and top with the poached egg. Drizzle with the yogurt sauce and season to taste.
TIP: you can also replace the smoked salmon with prosciutto, another type of smoked ham, or even bacon. Yum!